Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Notable things in an eventless life

(In other words, what has been happening recently...)

I

About two weeks ago, at the orientation for Vancouver Public Library's Summer Bookcamp, as my supervisor concluded her session, and as I was leaving my chair and out the door, a middle-age woman come up to me and said, "Well, I think it is going to be an awesome camp." I thought what she was saying is just some general comments as a conversation opener. I was confused because it was the end of the session! So I give a generic reply, "Yeah, I think the camp is going to be great." And then she added, "I think the kids are going to love you, Johnson. You seem like a very fun person." I smiled and nodded. In my mind, of course, I was confused. I was thinking "what???" I could not understand how she could think that I'm a "fun" person, since during the entire session I had only spoken once (to anyone), asking my supervisor a question. I don't think I had ask a particular weird or "funny" question. All weekend long I was pondering on this point: do I leak some kind of "fun" odour???

II

Well, two weeks late, meaning yesterday, Bookcamp began. I didn't think I was great or terrible on the first day as a "tent councillor". I had my share of contributions, but I had also made my errors. But today at lunch apparently a quarter of the kids smelt my "fun" odour. There was about 15 kids all surrounding me, begging me to play human knot with them. Instead I'd suggested murder wink, allowing the kids to play more and me to take a more observant role. (As a councillor, while I should have fun, I ought to always be aware of sudden things.) But a few other councillors, beholding my odd popularity, were laughing (at the situation and not me specifically, I hope). The games were fun and at the end of lunch time we went back to our workshops. By the end of the day, one of the girls (she's 10, I think) in my tent is calling me "Fluffy" like a puppy. She would cling onto my arm and would not let me go. Happily her mother arrived and my arm eventually got free. But I suspect tomorrow my arm will be imprisoned for another day.

So, do I give off some kind of "fun" odour, or is the woman hallucination and the kids just crazy?

III

Back at condomania, we have been doing various demo workshops, exploring the mindset of grade 7's to 10's. Nothing I don't know upon any kind of more serious reflection and observation. The interesting part was that the condom demo with the wooden demonstrator was repeated over and over again. I have seen it at least four times now, and I think there is going to be at least two more times. I even got to know the mechanics of the female condom. Those of you who find my experience a little weird ought to change your thinking: it's a kind of health and safe practices that everyone should know (but not necessary use), like how to use a thermometer and avoid the cold wind when you caught a cold.

All these demo presentations are supposed to train us to be ready for presentations. But honestly, compared to the beginning of the training session, I don't believe that I have changed one bit. At actual workshops, things might be a bit more difficult. (I ought to just give off more "fun" odour so I won't lose my audience's interest in the subject, eh?)

IV

This August has been the most busy of the four months of my summer holiday. And happily so, for I have been doing many cool things, like Condomania, BookCamp and writing "The Chelsiad". I'm also planning to translate five Chinese poems. All these things simply screwed up my reading schedule. I was going to prepare for school. But come to think of it, maybe I should just spend the last two weeks doing what I want to do, for I won't be doing any more "useless" stuff anytime soon. Since the translations and "The Chelsiad" is going to occupy me probably for the rest of the summer, I'll compile a little list of regrets, wishing I have time to do the following:
1. Finish the Jane Austen Cycle by reading Emma
2. Read Tristam Shandy
3. Read some Shakespeare comedies (although watching one performance of As You Like It
was already enough)
4. Not going to any musical spectacles this summer. I've missed Handel's and Carl Maria von Weber's operas as well as some chamber music concerts
5. Not reading Paradise Lost again
6. Not reading Spinoza's Ethics and Nietzsche's writings
7. Not exercising enough
8. Not seeing some of my friends at all these four months
9. Not learning German
10. Not having a job? Although that's probably a good thing; if I had a job, I would not be writing The Chelsiad

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home